Grant application for federation in Gitea

@pilou would you be so kind as to post the following to this issue ?

A grant application has a better chance to be considered if it has the backing of known people/organizations and/or many individuals. Gitea is popular and and effort to get such support is likely to succeed.

1. Is someone willing to advertise this grant proposal and get endorsements and a significant number of individual supporters?
  2. What are the communication channels this person should use?
  3. What kind of message should they send?
1 Like

Both have been posted:

Federation Gitea.md (25.4 KB)

Bonjour,

TL;DR: first version of the generic grant application ready for comments, expecting bio from zeripath & cjslep

This first version should contain all the elements needed to fill a grant application with requirements similar to NLnet and DAPSI (links are included in the document itself if you’re curious).

In addition to the expected bios it would be useful to get a list of organizations or individuals that would support such a grant application.

There are a few question marks in the grant application for which there does not seem to be a publicly available answer but someone from the Gitea community surely does:

Next week I’ll rework the grant proposal based on comments and double check with the grant guidelines that nothing significant is missing.

Cheers

1 Like

Posted

1 Like

August 9th, @zeripath provided his bio, here is the version of the document that contains it. It is otherwise the same as the one published August 5th.

Federation Gitea.md (26.7 KB)

1 Like

Agenda of the upcoming videoconference call (1h):

Bonjour,

TL;DR: One last call to finalize the grant application, select your availability as soon as possible

The generic grant application is almost done. There are a few blockers that can be quickly resolved during a one hour videoconference. Please select your availability as soon as possible, between August 21st and August 28th. Unless you’re on vacation :stuck_out_tongue:

Once this step is complete, applying for a grant will be a matter of cherry-picking. I would not go as far as to say it is easy, but it certainly is a lot easier than starting from scratch :sweat_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

I will send the following personal email to each Gitea developer I know as soon as it is published to get their attention.

Bonjour,

The generic grant application is almost ready and, luckily, a call opened August 1st with a deadline October 1st, 2021 for NGI Zero Discovery. The federation of forges in general and Gitea in particular is an enabler for searching federated forges in a distributed way: reason why it is relevant to the call.

Would you be so kind to let me know your availability for a last videoconference to clarify a few important points? That would allow me to work on the grant application and if it succeeds the funds will be available before the end of 2021.

Cheers

1 Like

Posted

1 Like

Some suggestions for posting paid work: FOSS Jobs, Bountysource (maybe more candidates on delightful funding).

Update: Lemmy post on upcoming webinar…

1 Like

@aschrijver would you be so kind as to post the following to this issue ? This is unfortunately the only date when you’re not available :frowning: I can’t do 26th anymore: another obligation was inserted. Tough choice.

The call is open to everyone and will be at:

https://meet.jit.si/LargeGuidancesStabilizeCleverly Wednesday August 25th, 6pm UTC+2, 2021

The call will be recorded and published the same day. Please speak up now if this prevents you from participating. The proposed agenda is:

Done. No problem, happy there’s a good group joining.

1 Like

This is very gracious of you :slight_smile:

I just noticed a feature request was opened by @techknowlogick for the baby step at https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues/16717

Would you be so kind as to add this link to the agenda, next to the Baby step item?

1 Like

@techknowlogick are you based in Germany by any chance? If so you could be elligible to benefit from Prototype Fund, under the “software infrastructure” topic. But maybe you are already aware of that?

I wish I were, I would put on so much weight eating all the delicious food :laughing:

One of our german contributors has brought up this fund before, however no work towards applying to it has been done.

1 Like

It would be worth mentioning to them that this grant application has all the elements they need to fulfill the application form and get funded, should they be willing to work to further federation in Gitea.

1 Like

Ah, good idea. I’ve just forwarded this thread to them, and invited them to tomorrow’s chat.

1 Like

@aschrijver would you be so kind as to copy/paste the following on my behalf as a comment to the following issue? I’m very grateful for your help :slight_smile:

Today’s videoconference recording. I started the recording late (I keep forgetting). The only thing missing is me reading the introduction of the grant proposal. The video starts when I ask for input to @techknowlogick & @zeripath.

Agenda

Action items (before October 1st):

• @dachary :
    • Update the grant application introduction to (i) include the self-hosted stability benefit that comes with federation (ii) fix the latest paragraph that should not be about user interface (move it up?)
    • Fill the NGI Zero Discovery NLnet application
    • Select tasks that could fit in the NLnet budget
  • @techknowlogick: provide a bio
  • @zeripath @techknowlogick: provide an hourly/daily rate
  • @zeripath @techknowlogick: proofread the NLnet application

Notes

• NLnet application, if selected, would begin around January 2022
  • Sponsors on gitea.io are “in kind” for the most part, i.e. providing resources like hosting, hardware, services rather than funding
  • Where to advertise the grant?
2 Likes

@techknowlogick if you were a European citizen the NLnet grant application could mention you as an individual (see the eligibility information page). Since this is not the case, you need to be hired (e.g. as a part time employee, contractor…) by a European organization. It could be a non-profit like(e.g. Codeberg) or a company. Do you think that can be arranged?