Hacking Diversity: The Politics of Inclusion in Open Technology Cultures

I did not read the book itself but found in this review an interesting remark:

The author of this book is Christina Dunbar-Hester, a sociologist by training, who peers into this world not only as a female, but also as a nontech professional and thus is an outsider in this field. Her conclusion is that the hacking approaches that these communities have tried to adapt, in an effort to address the prob-lems around diversity, are not really effective. Why? Because diversity issues stem from cultural issues. The underlying unequal distribution of social power that accompanies those allowed to “play” in these open technology spaces cannot be fixed by adding more individuals from diverse groups. The lack of diversity is a consequence of the une-qual cultural distribution of social power.

I have read the book a few months ago, and my coworker invited the author to discuss during a meeting (I wasn’t present). I do not remember it being ground breaking as someone who was interested in the topic of diversity and open source, but it was also a good summary. I mostly remember that I disliked a bit the absence of Europe focused content, since it was either NA centric, or focused on a few non western countries to illustrate “opensource exist outside NA”, but I can understand why that was the case (and this is also a problem for lots of others fields).

The book is interesting and easy to read (especially when compared to others academic books in english).

1 Like

I don’t suppose it contains insights that would be useful for fedeproxy beyond what was already discovered? It would be great to discover a piece of wisdom that would help fedeproxy specifically (and other projects in their infancy), but I’m not holding my breath :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing come to mind. But the book was really fast to read, I managed to finish it before I realized that it was supposed to be 1 chapter per book club meeting, not 1 book.

1 Like