Request for proposals: diversity audit of the fedeproxy project

Bonjour,

Fedeproxy is a new (early 2021) project which inherits the unfortunate lack of diversity that still prevails in Free Software. From its inception, the people involved worked to improve the situation and had some success. While this is encouraging, it would be useful to get an expert opinion on how the project is doing and how it could improve.

The work expected from the auditor is:

• Phase one: fact finding on the fedeproxy project, using the information available at https://fedeproxy.eu and asking questions in the forum if needed. All information is publicly available, there is no internal information system.
  • Phase two: publish an audit report which must include practical, realistic and actionable recommendations that can be carried out immediately by the people currently involved in the project or by paid third parties. The cost incurred by these recommendations must not exceed the current resources of the project which currently are 5% of the time of the people funded to work on the project and the 5K€ grant earmarked for diversity.
  • Three (one hour) publicly available and recorded videoconferences about (i) bootstraping the audit, (ii) the conclusion of the fact finding phase, (iii) presenting the audit report

Bids for this audit, including the financial proposal, must be posted publicly as a reply in this forum topic. They will be evaluated on a rolling basis until a proposal is selected (more information about the decision process). There will be no private conversation and any questions to clarify the scope and purpose of the audit must be posted as a reply in this forum topic.

Cheers

1 Like

The following message was sent to the OSD Signal group:

Do you know anyone interested in conducting an audit and provide recommendations to improve diversity in a Free Software project? A request for proposal was published today, this is paid work. Request for proposals: diversity audit of the fedeproxy project

As discussed in the monthly meeting, I asked @misc if he knew someone, here is his answer:

1 Like

I took a look at Ashe Dryden & Frame Shift Consulting. Maybe I missed something?

What do you mean ?

Bonjour,

Could you clarify, please: is the 5K€ your budget for this audit, or is it the budget for how much the project has available to fund implementation of the recommendations?

If the latter, could you share the project’s budget for the audit itself?

Merci.

2 Likes

The budget is a one time 5K€ earmarked for improving diversity in the fedeproxy project. The first item funded on this budget is the audit. The audit can use all 5K€ or less: it depends on the proposal.

Does that answer your question?

1 Like

Yes, it does. Thanks!

2 Likes

Did some promo for this:

1 Like

Dropping this resource in case it’s useful – includes a section on Community and one on Diversity & Inclusion: https://opensourcehealth.internews.org/

1 Like

This is indeed a very useful checklist (not just for diversity), thank you!

1 Like

The following message was sent to a consultant to followup on a recommendation (names not included to protect their privacy):

Hi [redacted],

A Free Software project is looking for help with regard to diversity. It would be great if you could take a look at the request for proposal ( Request for proposals: diversity audit of the fedeproxy project ). If you’re not interested or available, maybe you know somewhere who would?

Thanks in advance!

I received the following reply:

is this a joke, or…?

and a screenshot of an article i wrote in February 2020. I replied:

Hi [redacted],
It is not a joke. Having read this article, would you like to discuss its content? I’d welcome any advice you may have.
Cheers

To which I received the following answer:

Having read this article, I would advise you to jump up your own asshole and stay there. Cheers!

:confused: